The Four Agreements
By Don Miguel Ruiz, introduced by George Piggott
In this world of such diversity, tremendous activity, and complexity, it is not surprising that many individuals suddenly pause, take stock and allow themselves a space to reflect. Many people have numerous interests, enquiring minds, plus an energy to explore more deeply into the many aspects of life.
It is suggested by the writer that ‘The Four Agreements’, arranged into a simple format, could have a profound impact on the reader, as the essence of the profoundness itself. A true blessing for those who take the time to be kind to themselves in an effort to understand the content conveyed.
Be impeccable with your Word
- Speak with integrity.
- Say only what you mean.
- Avoid using the Word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others.
- Use the power of your Word in the direction of truth and love.
Don’t take anything personally
- Nothing others do is because of you.
- What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream.
- When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
Don’t make assumptions
- Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want.
- Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness and drama.
- With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.
Always do your best
- Your best is going to change from moment to moment — it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick.
- Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgement, self-abuse, and regret.