From the Dhammapada (trs. Juan Mascaró)
- What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow: our life is the creation of our mind. If a man speaks or acts with an impure mind, suffering follows him as the wheel of the cart follows the beast that draws the cart.
- What we are today comes from our thoughts of yesterday, and our present thoughts build our life of tomorrow: our life is the creation of our mind. If a man speaks or acts with a pure mind, joy follows him as his own shadow.
- “He insulted me, he hurt me, he defeated me, he robbed me.” Those who think such thoughts will not be free from hate.
- “He insulted me, he hurt me, he defeated me, he robbed me.” Those who think not such thoughts will be free from hate.
- For hate is not conquered by hate: hate is conquered by love. This is a law eternal.
- Many do not know that we are here in this world to live in harmony. Those who know this do not fight against each other.
- He who lives only for pleasures, and whose soul is not in harmony, who considers not the food he eats, is idle and has not the power of virtue — such a man is moved by MARA, is moved by selfish temptations, even as a weak tree is shaken by the wind.
- But he who lives not for pleasures, and whose soul is in self-harmony, who eats or fasts with moderation, and has faith and the power of virtue — this man is not moved by temptations, as a
great rock is not shaken by the wind.
- If a man puts on the pure yellow robe with a soul which is impure, without self-harmony and truth, he is not worthy of the holy robe.
- But he who is pure from sin and whose soul is strong in virtue, who has self-harmony and truth, is worthy of the holy robe.
- Those who think the unreal is, and think the Real is not, they shall never reach the Truth, lost in the path of wrong thought.
- But those who know the Real is, and know the unreal is not, they all indeed reach the Truth, safe on the path of right thought.